Accept Cookies?
Provided by OpenGlobal E-commerce

The Smithy

This is the former Grinton Smithy. It is clearly marked as 'Smithy' on the Third Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1914, 6" scale. The First Edition OS plan of 1856 is not clear & it is not labelled. The Workhouse opposite is labelled on this map.

The road level has obviously been raised many times and it's now a half metre step down into the building.

More recently it has been totally renovated with the door being removed and being re-roofed. A new entrance has been made on the north side.

There is no chimney on this building, now a barn, but presumably it was removed when the newer barn was built alongside, or earlier.

The new smithy was built on the opposite site of the road. It was incorporated into the cottage alongside when the whole underwent major renovation in the 1960s when the Smithy became the garage. The chimney was removed for safety at that time and there is now nothing remaining of the old smithy. The old forge was removed during the renovation.

It is not known when the smithy was last used by a blacksmith, but presumably it was not very many years before as tools had been left there.