One of the original Norman pillars is on the left of the Chancel arch. The original Norman Chancel arch would have had a rounded Norman arch and was only about 2.5 metres (8 feet) wide, half the present width. The original Norman Chancel was probably a semi-circular apse. Note that the arch is not now central compared with the rest of the Church due to the successive extensions and re-building of the Church over the centuries. Even the pillars are slightly bigger and the arches higher on the Northern side.
The present Chancel was built in the 14th century, though it has been much altered in the following centuries
This memorial board commemorates Dorothy D'Arcy who died in 1698. (As it contains biographical details, it is not a true hatchment.)
The Denys memorial plaque on the Chancel north wall. Sir George Denys, baronet, lived at Draycott Hall, Fremington.
The East window stonework dates from the 15th century and the fine stained glass by the famous Charles Kemp from 1896. The latter is the date of the Victorian renovation of the Church. The window is a memorial to the Close family of Low Whita. This window is shown in much more detail in a separate folder.
The organ was built in 1860.
The Parke memorial plaque on the Chancel south wall. The Parke family lived in Low Row in the later half of the 18th century.
The pascal candle. It is marked with a cross with nails and the Greek letters alpha and omega signifying the beginning and end. It is blessed and lit at the Easter Vigil.
This rood screen stairway was discovered during the Victorian renovation of the Church. They would have given access to a substantial rood screen across the Chancel arch so that lamps illuminating the statues on it could be lit.
Behind the chair may be seen part of an arch of the original sedilia. This was originally three seats for the priest, deacon and subdeacon. This was destroyed when the chapel behind, now the Blackburn Chapel, was built in the 16th century and the south arches broken through.
The view from the altar westwards through the Chancel and Nave to the Norman font and the Norman window.
|Information - All items|
|Weather and river levels|
|Grinton Parish Council|
|Melbecks Parish Council|
|Reeth Parish Council|
|Reeth Gazette archive|
|What's on? - All entries|
|Reeth Memorial Hall Events|
|Places - All entries|
|Churches and Chapels|
|St Andrew's Church|
|Grinton Conservation Project|
|Herbert Norris' shop|
|Grinton Corn Mill|
|Grinton Youth Hostel|
|St. Andrew's Church, Grinton links|
|Tour of St. Andrew's Church|
|St. Andrew's Church Memorials|
|Grinton War Memorials|
|Grinton Church history|
|Photo external links|
|Walk along the riverpath from Grinton|
|Grinton Marrick Circular Walk|
|Flooding near Grinton|
|Skies over Swaledale|
|Reeth in the snow|
|Tim Mason archive|
|The Millennium in Grinton|
|Jubilee 2002 including Corpse Way enactment|